A life of circumstance
Five days in my old stomping grounds proved to be quite the time of reflection.
And adventure.
Having no plan or agenda certainly allows for the manifestation of experience that is greater than imagination or planning can ever create.
As I sit here in the shade tent (recently converted to the kitchen and hangout space) watching the cooking show starring Gabe and the 16 year old hitchhiker I picked up last night, all I have of the past five days are fleeting memories of conversations, and this adolescent boy to remind me that I didn’t dream the whole thing up.
From my old boss, who is actually a Zen master, “You’ve just got to be happy with what you’ve got: I’ve got a family that loves me, excellent health, and a good job.” It simply comes back to the glass half empty or half full and choosing how to perceive it all, which returns to gratitude.
It never ceases to amaze me how all these lessons I struggle and struggle with come back to the same condensed forms: gratitude and presence.
Then of course come to mind all the little tidbits of wisdom…
Like the homeless guy on the bench who shared with me his theory of how a certain religious group is bringing on the Third Reich: “Have you noticed all the Hicks around who are just a little different?... They practice polygamy; it’s simple math… they’re taking over the world.” He is also sure that nanotechnology is going to give us a way to harness atomic energy to bypass the oil situation… and that everyone wants to kill him.
At the coffee shop, I met someone else in the world as antisocial and neurotic and discontented with embodying the previous two as I am, and with a frighteningly parallel story to get to this point (or so each of our overanalyzing points to). “That’s my story exactly; I can’t even reword it.” Once again I find solace in not being the only crazy folk around.
It’s the simple things in life.
Like a garden overrun with zucchini (“Let’s make zucchini ice cream tonight!”), a 16 year old with an inability to be quiet, and knowing I’m not alone in my mental imbalances.
And adventure.
Having no plan or agenda certainly allows for the manifestation of experience that is greater than imagination or planning can ever create.
As I sit here in the shade tent (recently converted to the kitchen and hangout space) watching the cooking show starring Gabe and the 16 year old hitchhiker I picked up last night, all I have of the past five days are fleeting memories of conversations, and this adolescent boy to remind me that I didn’t dream the whole thing up.
From my old boss, who is actually a Zen master, “You’ve just got to be happy with what you’ve got: I’ve got a family that loves me, excellent health, and a good job.” It simply comes back to the glass half empty or half full and choosing how to perceive it all, which returns to gratitude.
It never ceases to amaze me how all these lessons I struggle and struggle with come back to the same condensed forms: gratitude and presence.
Then of course come to mind all the little tidbits of wisdom…
Like the homeless guy on the bench who shared with me his theory of how a certain religious group is bringing on the Third Reich: “Have you noticed all the Hicks around who are just a little different?... They practice polygamy; it’s simple math… they’re taking over the world.” He is also sure that nanotechnology is going to give us a way to harness atomic energy to bypass the oil situation… and that everyone wants to kill him.
At the coffee shop, I met someone else in the world as antisocial and neurotic and discontented with embodying the previous two as I am, and with a frighteningly parallel story to get to this point (or so each of our overanalyzing points to). “That’s my story exactly; I can’t even reword it.” Once again I find solace in not being the only crazy folk around.
It’s the simple things in life.
Like a garden overrun with zucchini (“Let’s make zucchini ice cream tonight!”), a 16 year old with an inability to be quiet, and knowing I’m not alone in my mental imbalances.
2 Comments:
(8/5/05)
Hey Cassie !!
Eugene and I want to help you guys with construction this weekend (and we'd like to hang out
with you as well ;-)
Call me at 805-541-5061 or email cconley@calpoly.edu
I tried your cell phone but I guess it might still
be dead.
Always a pleasure
-Chris
The Leprechaun is coming
Stay tuned.......
Post a Comment
<< Home